Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Update for two weeks ago

We have retuned to our first home church this week, De la mano con Jesus (Pastor Oscars church). It was crazy how thrilled we were to be back, this building is nothing special, we dont have a seperate room or hot water, but in this church is where most of our friends are. Its also the church where we feel theres the most passion and spiritual outpouring. I wish you all could attend a worship service here. Its like killing two birds with one stone, you get an amazing time of worship and fellowship, and your complete calistentic worship for the day : ). People here just seem to be so driven to learn the things of God. The youth in this church follow us everywhere, evangelize with us and we have pretty much taught them everything we know as far as drama/dances are concerned. Of course, this also means we are never alone, but we are used to this by now. This past week has been a week of prayer for the church which is something that they do every month. For seven days they meet together at 7 am to pray for an hour. This is a lovely concept, excluding the fact that going to bed at 2am and arising at 6:30 does not make an all too effective prayer time for me, at least not at first. By the end of the week I learned to push past the fatigue because time with God has become a necessity for everyday and the morning is usually the only time I have. Anyway, usually when the service ended most of the people stayed to spend time with us and prepare for kids club (once again), after KC is training time, then we do some type of ministry/evangelism in the evening. So its pretty much the same schedule as always, -up early, then busy, busy , busy til 10, then party all night : ).


There were a few special highlights to the week too. On weds. we went to pastor oscars house for a Columbian meal, cooked by the two young columbian guys that are staying with him right now-Manuel and Christian. It was really good food, though personally I think Sounth Americans could get more creative than meat, meat, bread, meat, meat, rice, meat, chicken etc. : ), but I digress...its delicious! Thurs night we ate at the house of a young couple of the church who are both hilariously entertaining and they made pizza for us, so you know...instant friends, haha. Friday night was a dinner for the youth. We had a huge barbeque outside that lasted til the wee hours of the morning. There was also dancing (I tried my feet at Salsa) and freestyle rap and reggae from three guys of the church and Aaron who has to try everything at least once (including the cow intestine that was served that night...mmm).
I feel I should also mention that I now have four kids. It started out at Fernandos church, there is a baby there that Aaron and I were always holding so some of our friends called him my hijo (son). There is also a 13 year old girl named Sophia who calls me her mami and she basically lives with us, shes here so much. Her best friend soon caught on, as did the little boy who lives next door and smothers me with kisses. So my family is steadily growing. It has gotten to the point where I answer to Mami and have received so many gifts of stuffed animals, pictures, and cards that I am going to need another suitcase to come home!


All in all time flew this week and its time to move on yet again. I cannot believe that our trip is now past the halfway point! After next week, we are leaving for Chile where we will spend two weeks. I can look back on the past 5 1/2 weeks and laugh at how I have gotten so happy about the small things - like adequate hydration and reasonable hygiene. I can also say that there has never been a time in my life when I have needed to live outside of myself and rely on God as much as here. I am excited for the next half of the trip!

No comments: